Monday, March 16, 2009

Save the Date!

As promised, the nitty-gritty behind-the-scenes details of our 10 hour wedding venue hunting expedition:

Sunday 8:45 am - We pack up the dog, a map of Ontario, and my trusty camera in the wee hours of the morning
(8:45 is "wee" for us), and hit the road in search of the perfect little swatch of land on which to get hitched ("Which old witch? The wicked witch!..."). I couldn't resist *ahem*.

So our criteria for perfection? Remote, rustic, scenic and pet-friendly. Oh, and of course spacious enough to accommodate 100 people. We were hoping for a farm or cottage, and booked 4 appointments to see old houses on large properties in the Prince Edward County/Kingston area. We are both partial to the middle of nowhere. Go figure: we live happily in the centre of Canada's largest metropolis. I suppose you can't take the Prairies out of the girl...

11:45 am - Just south of Trenton, we met up with Joan, our helpful guide and property manager for a number of rental vacation homes in the area. Our first stop is an old school house near Wellington. It has been converted into a home, and sits on a little yard surrounded by acres of farmland. It is quaint, and the building itself retains many of the features of its former life as a school house, including original chalkboards in the living room. We are smitten. The downside: not really enough space for a 100-person wedding. The cows eye Dudley suspiciously. We carry on.

12:30 pm - Picton Tim Hortons, a quick bite, and a reminder of why I never eat there.

[ Dudley considers making a break for it ]

1:30 pm - Our second stop, just a little northeast of Picton, on the Bay of Quinte is a large property with an adjacent barn. Here, space is not an issue. However, the feature we most loved (the barn) is off-limits for wedding purposes. I am also concerned about the somewhat major road that Dudley seems ever interested in crossing. We are not exactly head over heels.

2:03 pm - We follow Joan to the Glenora Ferry, to cross back to the mainland. We are en route to our final stop with her, but we narrowly miss the ferry. She is kind enough, in the meantime, to give us a mini tour of Lake on the Mountain, an aptly named hilltop community surrounding a lake. Very creative naming conventions in these parts, I might add.

[ Lake on the Mountain ]

2:35 - Finally, we cross the Bay of Quinte, after a quick (and free) ride.

[ The Bay of Quinte, from the Glenora Ferry ]

3:00 - Daverne Farm House, Our last stop with Joan, and the most promising thus far. We love the old house (that conveniently sleeps 16) and the view of the water. The land seems to provide ample space for event tents. Alex eyes an old trailer bed as a possible band stage. We are feeling more optimistic. The owners live in adjacent homes, however, which to me seems like a downfall. Having never rented the property to such a large group, they might not understand the implications, I'd imagine. We may feel a bit of pressure to start shush-shushing around midnight. And, again, the gorgeous barn is not included. No dice.

[ Alex scopes out option #3 ]

3:35 - Joan takes off, westbound, and we head north east towards Kingston - our last stop. We're late for our appointment, and getting nervous; so far, this property seemed the most promising. Willing to settle for Daverne, if the next doesn't pan out, we remain hopeful.

4:15 - We have made it at last. After several twists and turns, we find the farm at the bottom of a dead end road. I believe that we are near Battersea, but it was my turn to drive, and Alex turned navigator. We are really in the sticks this time. Perfect. I immediately make a mental note: dead end=no through traffic; I am not worried as Dudley shoots of into the bush to sniff and survey.

[ Heaven on earth. ]

Without the dog to watch intently, we leisurely take in our surroundings and are approached by a lovely woman, Kris, the mother of the farm's owner. She invites us to poke around. She makes us tea. We are immediately in love. The farm house sits high, with a view of the water. In t
otal, the property must be 200 acres. It feels, though, cozy and sheltered by the thick woods that surround the main yard. Kris shows us a large field for parking (check), plenty of great flat spaces for guests to camp (check) and the serene and sunny interior of the house that sleeps 10 (check). I am checking boxes on my mental must-have list.

[ sigh... ]

Then the creme de la creme, la piece de resistance: the old
barn. Open and airy, with huge doors, and a solid floor, the building is a perfect venue for an intimate dinner and barn dance. Light streams in from the gaps in the barn boards and I swoon. We imagine twinkly string lights, paper lanterns, and an early-fall breeze. We steal a kiss when Kris isn't looking.

[ Leopard Frog Farm... the winner! ]

The house itself is bright and cottage-y. I squint into the light reflecting off of the lake in through the huge windows, and sip tea. Upstairs, Alex and I have already designated sleeping arrangements, the master being our
s, naturally. Dudley, to our embarassment, jumps on every piece of furniture, including the kitchen table. I take this as his seal of approval.

5:30 - As we leave (reluctantly) we know without saying a word that this is it.

September 26th is open, and we were sure to email Kris' son as soon as we are in the door. While paperwork is still pending, we've officially booked it. Now the real work begins. Having a date and a venue really eliminates all excuses. I am in full-on planning mode from here on in.

Last night, we received news that band business may take Alex out of the picture for up to two months. Read: I am on my own! Yikes. I may not regret a 9-piece wedding squad. Also, I met with two of my dearest friends last night, and caught up after an embarrassingly long time without contact. I purposely kept them off of the "squad", as they are two of the busiest ladies I know. I knew they wouldn't need squad status to know that I am truly grateful for their friendship. They kindly offered to help in any way possible. I am so lucky.

5 comments:

  1. Battersea isn't the sticks...its only 15 minutes from my house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww it's perfect!! you are inspiring me to want simple beauty for my wedding one day! so amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally lovely day- the light streaming in is so romantic...
    sigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do hope you'll make it to see it in person, Lizzy! Even though I am the world's worst friend for missing yours...

    ReplyDelete