Friday, March 13, 2009

Favours and Flavours.


2 more days until our big road trip! Note to self: remember Gravol for the dog. He’s joining us, naturally, so he can sniff out the area and mark his territory. But long car rides are not his forte. While he will immensely enjoy a little country to run around in, it’s getting there that always worries me. As for the rest of the trip, I think we’re organized: I have Mapquest-ed our destinations, booked the car, and planned out a little egg salad lunch for the road. Fingers crossed, we’ll have a date AND location by Monday. Eek!

I met with a baker today, to discuss some possible favour options. We talked truffles (while I fought off major chocolate cravings), and it’s certainly doable within our favour budget. I think we have plenty to choose from now:
  • Boxed locally made organic truffles
  • Dolled-up Mini jars of local honey
  • Handmade organic soaps, wrapped in eco fabrics and tied with twine
  • Matchstick Gardens - little plantable “matches” in cute packaging (from Pistachio)
On the food front, much to my mother’s chagrin, I am still set on making most of the food ourselves (“ourselves” being whatever poor suckers I rope into coming up early for set-up). But since it’s BBQ-style, I’m not going to fret about getting too fancy. Alex and I have decided to do the BBQ’ing ourselves and serve our guests – a modified receiving line, if you will. Steaks/chicken, roasted corn, devilled eggs, hors d’oevres (this needs work), fruit, tarts, and lots of salads. Done.


Plus, a lovely friend (and member of the Bridal Brigade) has offered to provide a few extras from her mothers restaurant as a wedding gift to us! She also offered to come up early to assemble. Since this is extremely generous, and SO helpful, I want to help them out as well with a little advertising:

Cafe Indochine
105B Clarence Street
Ottawa, ON K1N 5P5
(613) 241-6378

Thanks so much, Philam!

I am so happy to be adding some of their delicious Vietnamese food to the menu for the evening, as your standard BBQ fare can lack personality at times. Sadly, it’s been years since I’ve been there, but the food is incredible and the atmosphere quaint. Love the fresh rolls with mint!


I am actually excited about this process – a kitchen full of my favourite women in a frenzy of mass-potato-salad preparation? Delightful. Fried Green Tomatoes en masse! Yes, Alex: women. You and my familial menfolk will be relegated to lifting duties outside as, stereotypically, your culinary talents are limited to toast.

2 comments:

  1. well, well... I just might! I had temporarily forgotten about your superior baking prowess. we'll talk!

    ReplyDelete