Friday, March 20, 2009

Handmade, with love.


[ headpiece by whichgoose ]

My love affair with Etsy began when I discovered it as a great way to take my small accessories business, Naynu, into the e-commerce world. While my little business has been largely ignored over the past year (really, who am I kidding? I barely make time for one job!), I have remained a solid supporter of all things handmade through Etsy. Etsy what? *Gasp* OK, you're forgiven, but now that you've crawled out from under your rock: click here. Etsy is an online market for handmade/indie design, including accessories, clothing and paper products. Since I peruse the new listings daily, it is no surprise that
much of my inspiration for the wedding has come from the site. I even found THE dress here. I’m keeping that a wee secret for now (although Miss. Joey’s sleuthing turned it up in no time!) but I will share some of my favourite accessories (of late). Whether I purchase these on Etsy (thus supporting my fellow artists), or become inspired and make them myself, I certainly wouldn’t have found so many unique wedding accessory ideas anywhere else. I even learned a new term: "fascinator". Apparently it’s the word for those not-quite-hat, not-quite-hair-clip feather and flower headpieces. And I covet them.

[ fascinator by Twigs and Honey ]

Speaking of supporting handmade, my lovely and talented friend Cathie (and fellow craft-world newbie) has also agreed to discussing a commissioned piece for the big day. She makes the wildest necklaces. Either way, as my top-secret dress is very minimal, I have plenty of options for jazzing it up. Within reason, of course: Battersea, Ontario may not be ready for the fascinator!



1 comment:

  1. I LOVE pearls! they're so feminine and wedding-esq.. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete