Sunday, March 1, 2009

Employment benefits

Wedding planning while working a full time job can take its toll. Lucky for me, my job is actually making the process easier. I am a buyer for an eco-friendly gift and paper concept, and we are currently ramping up for a big wedding promotion. Naturally, while on the prowl for great green wedding goods for the shops, I have been taking mental notes. Wedding planning at work is actually legitimate work! No need to hover my arrow over the "close window" button, for fear my boss will catch me perusing wedding blogs on the company dime; it's exactly what I'm being paid to do. Did I mention that I love my job?


Pistachio, my bread and butter and illegitamate child (I helped raise it from the ground up), is a new concept with two stores open in Toronto as of last fall. We are Indigo's bohemian little sister. Tomorrow, we flip the stores into our wedding theme, and I already have my eye on some great little eco-goodies. Keeping our big day green will start with the invitations and save-the-date cards. As Pistachio is launching a bulk paper program, we've already planned on buying some 100% recycled cardstock and envelopes (with my staff discount, of course!), and designing them ourselves. The selection and colours really are gorgeous. Coming out at around $50 total (before postage) for a 100-person wedding, this is most certainly an economical option, too!

Also for sale, beginning this week, are handmade favour bags, plantable favours, biodegradable napkins and 100% recycled invitations. Coming up in March: bridal teas at Pistachio. Surely this sounds like a plug, but the intention of this blog (in part) was to share information with other brides, and I do think that Pistachio is a great spot to check out, even for inspiration.

Even better budget-friendly news: my boss has graciously offered to let us have the tiered and footed Crate and Barrel cupcake platters that the store is using for merchandising during the promo. After my not-so inexpensive shoe purchase, it's nice to add $0 to a few items on the budget. Also in the "free" category: our band and sound equipment. See, saying yes to life as a band wife does have its advantages!


1 comment: