Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Meet the DJ


I am the not-so-proud owner of the World's Oldest iPod. Yes, the first-generation Shuffle. Until now, it has served me well, and though I have been wooed by sexy TV ads, touch screens and colour (glorious colour!!), I have remained faithful. We all know the old adage "If it ain't broke...", right?

Now though, with the wedding 6 months away, and no intentions of hiring a DJ, I may just have the perfect excuse for an upgrade. My trusty Shuffle may have heard me talking, because suddenly, as if feeling dejected, it has begun acting up. Sometimes it just stops because it wants to. And, the shuffle mode tends to favour about 20 songs. Yeah, if I hear Apple Bottom Jeans ONE more time, I might scream. Uhh, what? NO, I do not have that on my playlist. *Changes subject quickly* Ahem. A wedding "soundtrack" with only 20 songs just won't do, and Alex's MP3 player is even more embarrassing than mine. So I have my eye on this pretty girl:

Meet: the second gen iPod Nano (in cerulean blue!!). OK, so how are they already on the second generation?! *sigh* I can't keep up. While the iPod Touch is enticing, it's much more of a gadget than I care to add to my ridiculous repertoire: my purse is half full of electronics already. The nano is petite yet still holds 2000 songs (oh, and it's just a tad more economical). Anything, really, would be an improvement.

I digress.

As for the music situation, we're counting on my (soon-to-be) new iPod to do this trick. Alex is the expert, and claims that the 1/8" port and the blah-blah-blah will work (yeah, you lost me). Basically, the iPod will connect to something, via something else, and eventually produce loud music through speakers. Gotcha. And how will we accommodate requests? Well, it was my bright idea, if I may forget modesty for a moment, to actually have a song request space on the RSVP card! Brilliant. The fine print: your song may not be played. By "you", I mean Charlie ;) (I may or may not have had a temper tantrum this week over my future brother-in-law blasting Primal Scream in our house. Hehe!)

We are also lucky enough to have musical friends who have graciously offered to play, intermittently, throughout the evening. So maybe the free band really makes up for the cost of the iPod. I am very good at rationalizing purchases, you know. Really, though, it is cheaper than a DJ. And so I wonder, with iPods becoming more sophisticated, are DJs out of work?

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I don't know if this is your speed, but I definitely got my brother a used 4G ipod nano off craigslist for $70 - it works great and was in perfect condition, eco-friendly too, why buy something new when you can get it used?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the very first Mini i-pod...you can't even buy cases for it...and its black and white...

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha I think a lot of DJ's do the Ipod thing now anyway. so you're in luck!
    Ya check craigslist and get one! cheap and if it doesn't work you hunt the person down again! sweet deal!
    haha i love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not comfortable with used electronics off of craigslist. CPUsed or Carbon Computing, OK. Maybe I'll go that route - good call!

    ReplyDelete