Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Marry me!

So, we're keeping this, let's say, "non-denominational", and a friend suggested getting a Humanist to marry us. I admit that while I thought the name sounded a bit cultish (or granola, at best), it's actually the farthest thing from it. In fact, according to humanistcanada.com:

"Humanism is a dynamic and religion-free way of life that affirms our ability and responsibility to lead ethical and meaningful lives, aspiring to the greater good of humanity. Humanists are guided by reason and scientific inquiry, inspired by music and art, and motivated by ethics, compassion and fairness."


Hm, I like it. It's like a religion, but without, um, the stuff I dislike about (most) religions.

So, I contacted the only two - yes, two - humanists in Kingston who are certified to perform marriages. They are both unavailable. Yikes! Another product of planning a wedding in 6 months, i'm afraid. But, I will not be defeated; I'm now looking for those "Am Humanist, Will Travel" types, in surrounding areas. I suppose a Justice of the Peace is also doable. Either way, if I want to actually be a legal Mrs. after the wedding, this is one to-do on my ever-growing list that can't be ignored for long!

No comments:

Post a Comment