Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Tiered Cakes and Script Font: I am weak.

Don't buy wedding magazines. It's a trap! Unless of course, you are planning on spending at least $2000 on a dress and you have no idea what style you are looking for. In that case, typical wedding mags are a great start for dress inspiration. Otherwise, you're paying at least $7 a pop for a phonebook-sized advertisement. I have been sucked in, though. In airports mostly, when I'm hankering for a quick read, I peruse the sub-par snacks and the magazine wall, itching for a glimpse of a tiered cake, script font, and tuile. Price is no object! Each time, though, I am disappointed.


[*sigh* Martha, if only you were as good on paper...]

Martha Stewart Weddings did, however, turn me on to the accompanying website, which is fabulous! I am completely obsessed with the seating tool. But again, the magazine itself was page after page of horrific gown ads. Do the editors not realize that the dress is the EASY part? Please impart some real advice, people! Modern Bride actually featured an article on how to fold fitted sheets. *Gasp* is this 1955? (OK, I admit, I can't fold a fitted sheet to save my life, but it's not a skill I need to be marriage-worthy).

But maybe, just maybe, there is a glimmer
of light: On my latest flight, back from Ottawa on Porter (*love*) on Sunday, I picked up Real Simple Weddings 2009 ("Your guide to planning a beautiful and stress-free celebration"). It was $13.95. See: sucked in. This one, however, was the best thing I have I have purchased, wedding-wise, to date. Besides the shoes of course.

[best 14 bucks I ever spent...um, since the engagement]

It contains maybe 12 ads total (all Crate and Barrel), and is, as promised, a guide, full of helpful checklists, FAQs and stories of real weddings for inspiration. I began flagging pages, but stopped halfway through, realizing that most of the preceding pages had turned-down corners. Although American, thus containing mostly links/shops out of my 'hood (WAY out), the practical (and general) advice is applicable to both super traditional celebrations, and those like ours. The registry checklist (that I filled out in flight) helped me realize that, yes, there are some household gadgets that we could use. We, of course, need the house to put them in, but I am less opposed to the idea of registering. I could go on. If you're getting married, buy this. Seriously, it's smart.

My friend and fellow bride-to-be, Miss Kim, is getting married in less than 2 months. She has been most helpful, having been through it all AND currently living in Kingston. She passed along another lead on local officiants, and some hotel suggestions for guests. I have reached out. My it feels good to make check marks. I want to make them big with a red marker and a whoosh of the arm. But of course, my weary wrists wouldn't allow it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment