Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Nip/Tuck

I know, you haven't heard me babbling about THE dress lately. That's because dress #3 is a hit, and I really do think it's the one. Yay! However, as previously mentioned, I am prone to meddling. I can just let things be, of course. Take my wonderful talent for turning one innocent zit into twenty by picking and poking - I have yet to learn my lesson. In the case of the dress, I already have plans to disassemble it, insert a new band under the bodice (to replace the black satin), and add a few finishing touches. I have decided that a linen, hemp or cotton/linen blend in a natural/ivory color with a metallic threading would be perfect for the band. The dress is currently mostly made from synthetic lace, and I would love to inject a bit of a natural feel. The fabric in the images below is pretty much what I have in mind:

[ dress by Hoss Intropia ]

I have also just purchased some vintage lace from a vendor on Etsy.com. To further personalize my new frock, in lieu of making it from scratch myself), I am adding layers of natural lace between the existing layers. I am inspired by this look, from Once Wed:


With the leftover lace, I hope to add a tad more modesty to the plunging neckline (my grandmother will be there, after all). Where the black band currently has a large bow, I am looking for a replacement - perhaps an oversized flower or bow in the same metallic linen? Or maybe I forgo the large accent for a more understated brooch at the centre of the bust?

[ dress by Zac Posen ]

I don't currently fill out the top properly, either, and the backless style prevents any help from my miraculous push-up bra. Not a problem, says my friend Tabor, who swears by NuBra, a jelly-like stick-on bra alternative. I am skeptical, but I will try anything. Having acquired some fairly decent sewing skills over the years, a little nip/tuck procedure (on the dress, not me!) will surely help as well.

Alex and my Mother, who have witnessed their share of my DIY-gone-wrong swearing fits, are rolling their eyes as they read this, I am sure. It will be gorgeous, though (even if the process does contain a tantrum or two), trust me.

("Let it be, let it be,...")


No comments:

Post a Comment