Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Control Freak? Who, me?


Control Freak. It's a term thrown around a little too often (along with "anal retentive") when the subject is yours truly. I prefer "meticulous" and "detail oriented", thank you very much. At least that's how I would spin it on a resumé.
Leah would say "You are SUCH a Cancer!", and though I don't have much interest/faith in astrology, I have to agree.

It's true that I have a difficult time delegating, and relinquishing control over any of my little projects. This is especially true of anything creative. Since our wedding is D.I.Y. down to the last detail, it is a perfect example of one of those creative projects. And maybe it brings out the worst/best in me. Depending on how you look at it, of course. I have to say that event planning is one of my fortés, if only because of my attention to detail/anal retentiveness. I thrive on stress, and I strive for right angles, perfect seams, and just the right amount of lemon in my hummus recipe. I love the tedious jobs - picking fonts, folding napkins, artfully assembling fruit platters.

For others, though, the traits that make me a top-notch organizer, also make me a nightmare to work with. Lucky for me, Alex has just the right amount of his own meticulousness. He understands me (to a point). This may be why i am miraculously still engaged! It is also a miracle that Kirsten (as in my friend, not my boss) and I are still friends, after she had to work AND travel with me. Again, it could be a case of another "I feel you, sister." I know, I can be a bit of a tyrant. Alex used the word "psycho" in response to a recent rant about my "vision" for setting up the centrepieces. You see, I was stressed about leaving this task to even the most capable of our guests while we are off getting snapped and posed.

All of the above would be of no consequence, if only the "Y" in DIY really only represented me and Alex. Let's be honest, though: we will rely on the help of our very generous and hard working friends and family to pull it all together (I am sucking up). One subject that has caused a little concern among our families is my insistence that BBQ-ing for 113 people will be a snap.

My mother has been pushing for catering. Alex's Dad looked a little panicked, at the thought. I admit that it will be an exercise in logistics. I suppose I will need to work on a very detailed itinerary for the day, to ensure that it will be clockwork. I am vehemently against catering this portion of the meal for several reasons:
  1. the control factor
  2. i believe it will be cheaper to do it ourselves
  3. i want the meal to feel casual, organic, and like an intimate picnic/backyard BBQ
  4. i think it will be so cute to combine the receiving line (which I typically hate) with the serving of meat (ie. Alex and I will dish out the food to our guests, in aprons)

I am really in love with this concept. However, for the peace of mind of everyone involved, I am going to really price/time it out to ensure that we can make it happen. I am also pricing out the cost of getting it partially catered. Mostly to pacify my mother (hi mom!). I will concede defeat, though, if i find it to be logistically impossible, and not significantly cheaper than going the catering route. See, I am not that unreasonable. I have found two companies online who offer such a service in the area: Western Cut BBQ and Bad Wolf Barbeque. More on this topic later...


p.s. I may or may not have already purchased matching bride and groom BBQ aprons from Cafe Press, as above. *smirk*

5 comments:

  1. I started out saying we would do the grilling/serving/etc.; but that quickly gave way to hiring a company to do the pig roast/serving for us. It was one guy, the food was great, he let people have 'tastes' before the ceremony, and the best was that he covered the tables (we did the decorations), cleaned up the mess, packed up the leftovers, and took the garbage away with him! It was 100% worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melinda, Are you in cahoots with my mother? ;)
    It means alot to hear this from someone who's been there... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend Lindsay, who also got married in a barn, had a BBQ and it was catered by 2 guys and one giant ass BBQ. They were really sweaty and smelly after cooking all that food. They had long picnic tables set up with other food for which guests could help themselves too. Maybe you could just be down a bit behind other tables with an apron. I would hate to see you sweaty and smelly with your hair possibly smelling like BBQ! She will be at the wedding this weekend if you need BBQ info! (you know who this is)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks "anonymous"! See you Saturday! eek!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey,

    Cute idea, I love the receiving line trade off. BUT speaking from the experience of BBQing for +100 people. You do not want to be standing infront of a BBQ on your wedding. Your eyes will be red and watery and you will smell gross. Maybe coming to a compromise like, others bbq and you and alex serve people the burgers off plates [versus off the grill] or you hand out buns or condiments. Just a thought. The aprons are a must though!

    -Kristina

    ReplyDelete