Friday, July 24, 2009

Over Easy


I am currently stuck at work, as the skies just opened up, and I refuse to bike in wet jeans for the 3rd day in a row. So, while marooned here, I will blog.


The other day I made a huge batch of egg salad, with good intentions of bringing my lunch to work. Every egg in the bunch was impossible to peel. Gah! Even if you know the trick - sliding your thumb under the thin skin between the shell and the egg - some of the little buggers are just stubborn. In this case, it was all of them.

I really hope this doesn't happen the day before our wedding. We need to shell about 130 of them to make deviled eggs and potato salad. We can't have them looking pitted and we certainly might lose our minds if they all decide to hang on for dear life. My mother has always made deviled eggs with mayo and a pinch of paprika. Maybe she adds onions, too, but I can't remember. I guess I assumed that this was the generally accepted - and only - recipe. Then, my friend Sheila suggested cumin. I realized that the possibilities were endless! Snooping around online, I found a whole range of ingredient options: horseradish, hot sauce, curry, mustard, black olives, dill. Since I love the photo above, however, I think I'll make mine with the following:
  • Mayo
  • Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Mustard Seeds
  • Capers
  • Green Onions
  • Paprika
  • Pepper
Yum! This is a combination of what I think is in the above, and of my special egg salad recipe. It's a secret.

On the subject of food, yet again, I have finally decided to tackle this to-do and reach out for more quotes. A few dead ends, but some definite possibilities. The first quote was astronomical, however. I am waiting on a second. If this one doesn't pan out, I am back to begging Dads and uncles to put in a little elbow grease on the big day. My assumption is that Dads would rather be helpful and busy than idle or social, anyway. We'll see...

I did find a great blog with a comprehensive step-by-step guide on how to cater your own wedding. It is my new bible.
Visit Forkable for details.

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen this video?
    Peel an egg in seconds. It was on Lifehacker.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Dut1b--AgLM

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey dayna, the fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel. chances are if you get farmer's market, organic, fresh from the chicken eggs, you will have a very difficult time! :)

    ReplyDelete