Monday, July 20, 2009

Dear Ms. Post



While visiting a flea market with my parents this summer, I happened upon a copy of a 1955 edition of Emily Post's Etiquette ("The Blue Book of Social Usage"). Originally published in 1922, mine was already the 9th edition. It interested me for two reasons:
  1. Pistachio (my employer/baby/bread-and-butter) currently retails the 17th edition (published in 2008). I wondered if Emily (via Peggy Post - her great-granddaughter-law, if you please) had lightened up just a tad in 50 years.
  2. Morbid curiosity: I don't care much for etiquette. I prefer the speak-your-mind/be-yourself approach (although I do value manners and politeness, thank you). I do, however, find the subject of formal etiquette to be quite amusing, especially the 1950s interpretation.
Reading the book gives me great delight.

[ Ms.Post / an early edition / 17th Edition by Peggy Post ]

Sentences like "Correct Invitations to a wedding are always engraved on the first page of a double sheet of ivory white or note paper either plain or with a raised margin called a plate-mark." and "The bride-elect and her mother then go to the stationer and decide details..." and "The phrase 'and Family' has never been approved for invitations by persons of taste..." have me very close to rolling on the ground in tears.

I intend to break her every rule.


Sure, I can send a professionally crafted email to a colleague, use the right fork at a 5-course meal, and put on a polished look for a formal occasion. Really, though, I am not much for formality. Please do not expect the words "request the honour of your presence" to appear anywhere on our invitations. I suppose there may be some guests, in my grandmothers generation, most likely, who may disapprove, but "traditional" is just not our style. I am wearing a white dress, though. Isn't that enough?

Luckily, my parents are one top hat away from a 3 ring circus, and have always appreciated my own brand of quirkiness (which I invariably get from them). They are not concerned in the least about offending Ms. Post.

I have only scratched the surface of the daunting task of designing, printing and assembling my own invitations, but I have at least started experimenting with fonts and colours:


As for design, I'm not quite there, although I have thought that a stitch-bound booklet would be quite cute. In the meantime, here are some lovely and somewhat unconventional invitations that inspire me (images courtesy of Martha Stewart Weddings, Once Wed, Etsy, and The Green Wedding Shoes):


3 comments:

  1. Hey! I resemble that 'three ring circus" remark! Hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. so weird! I wrote an editorial on this book right after Michael Jackson died. I think everyone should own a copy of her book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you make everything look spectacular and chic .... i can't wait to see what you create!

    ReplyDelete