Thursday, August 20, 2009

Have Tongs, Will Travel?


Wanted: Cook for hire. Must-haves: Pity, Muscles and Mad Grilling Skills. Nice-to-haves: you look (and cook) like Jamie Kennedy.


We are verging on desperation. After much deliberation, we conceded defeat and decided to go with a caterer for the BBQ portion of the dinner. We had been working with a restaurant in Kingston, and just as we were confirming, they backed out, claiming that another couple booked ahead of us. There had been no previous mention of the urgency to confirm during the 18 or so back-and-forth emails. It would have been handy to know that we were in contention for the date, especially the very night before when they sent us an updated quote. Fishy.

Possibly this is for the best. The catering manager didn't seem to quite grasp the concept of our uber-casual affair, and we were fighting them on every detail. The problem now, is that we are left one month before the wedding with no Plan B. Hiring a caterer was always Plan B, as we really thought that our Plan A - do-it-yourself with a little help from our friends - would pan out. Now we're scrambling to make it work again. I have placed a near-nervous-breakdown call to my sister (Queen of the Bar-Resto Industry and friend to many a spatula-wielding gent) to find us some muscle for hire. If only we could find two capable, pleasant chaps to stand over steamy smoky meat products for a few hours, we'd be set. I am dangerously close to a posting on Craigslist. While Jill chats up her boys in the kitchen, we are reaching out to a few more caterers. We have even stooped so low as to email The Lone Star in Kingston. Really though, it's just meat. I hope my mom's deviled eggs, and my Grilled Veggie Orzo Salad and lemon cupcakes will outshine BBQ chicken anyway.

While we scramble to work out our Plan C (I suppose), I beg you: if there is anyone you know - anyone at all - who is trustworthy and familiar with a grill (and possibly in need of a few bucks), let us know. We will pay gas, hotel and a wage.

Worst case scenario? I'd better use ALOT of hairspray, because I may be sweating over a hot grill myself.

The good news? We have actually just secured a bartender for the day, which means that our siblings are off the hook (Thanks Liz and Stephanie!).


2 comments:

  1. Hi Dayna, I'm Alex's cousin. I love your blog - you're such a good writer!! I'm excited to meet you and celebrate with you guys on your big day...it sounds like it's going to be awesome!
    Anyways, I digress...I lived in Kingston for four + years while attending Queen's University for my undergrad and I am a self proclaimed foodie, so I tried everything when I lived there. I know that Pan Chancho Bakery & Cafe does catering...and it's amazing...but it would be kind of pricey. However, they are really well connected in the food industry and are very helpful, so they may be able to recommend someone else to you. Their number is 613-544-7790 and if you ask for Veronica, she's the general manager, I'm sure she'll give you some great advice. Best of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you Try Windmills?

    ReplyDelete