Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Kryptonite.

I am weak in the knees. Or maybe the ankles, actually. When it comes to shoes, I suppose I become completely unreasonable and a little lightheaded. I'm very much a stereotype in this way. Classic example of one of these unreasonable moments: I purchased wedding shoes pre-engagement.


I saw said shoes a year ago while shopping with my friend Kirsten. A friend for whom I had walked the aisle in a never-to-be-worn-again dress only a year earlier. We were in Holts doing some swimsuit shopping, but not before a casual stroll through the shoe department (of course!). I had a moment. At the time, Alex and I had been together 2 years, and while marriage was on our minds, it certainly wasn't on our lips. In any case, I saw them - slingback flats by Sigerson Morrison - and exclaimed "I am getting married in these shoes!" Quick to burst my bubble, Kirsten (bless her fantasy-princess-wedding heart) firmly forbade me to get married in flats. Well. Even after explaining that heels in the mud just wouldn't do, nor would towering over my husband-to-be, she was adamant. Much to her horror, I fell in love with an $80 cotton dress that day for the same purpose. Knowing that wedding related purchases at that point would scare off any man, even one who loves me (ahem, puts up with me) as fiercely as Alex, I dropped the subject.

One year later, and I am in NYC on business (again, pre-proposal). I see them once more in Bloomingdales. On sale! With Kirsten miles away, and a little ring shopping under the belt to help boost the tipsiness already induced by the scent of leather and the cooing of the slippery salesman, I rang them in. I lightheadedly convinced m
yself that it was a sign. Such things happen in New York, right?

It's hard to tell from the above photo, but they are patent (*dreamy sigh*) with a lovely not quite almond, not quite square toe and 4 tiny little mirror embellishments.

Shoes:1

Dayna:0


OK, so the eco-friendly factor isn't quite there. And budget friendly? Comme ci, comme ca. But, I do have my eye on a lovely inexpensive dress, handmade by an indie designer in Portland. Maybe supporting small (somewhat local) artists will balance it all out? Or maybe we'll make up for it in other ways.
In any case, I survived my biggest weakness in this whole process; the rest should be a piece of (homemade organic) cake, right?

2 comments:

  1. your job IS perfect for planning! Seems like you're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! so cute! I love flats! Also now you can be comfortable and you can DANCE. And you know how I feel about dancing!

    ReplyDelete