Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Be Our Guest!



I work for a paper company. We have suites upon suites of gorgeous letterpress wedding invitation packages available in our custom shop. Our Pistachio invitation album is full of designs to suit any style, contemporary or modern. The best part: they're customized and printed in Canada with soy-based inks on eco-friendly recycled cotton paper. I would have loved to have given the business to the company - it is, after all, my bread and butter. My job depends on the profitability of our two little shops.

However, never being one to turn down a creative project (even if it's not in my best interest), I decided that we would design, print, trim and assemble them ourselves. It was not a question of whether we could achieve this no-small-feat, it was whether we'd survive the whole ordeal. And, we did!


We bought recycled, process-chlorine-free paper and envelopes from Pistachio and some new ink cartridges for our little printer. After a full Sunday of sitting in front of Photoshop working on our design, we spent the next three evenings cutting, sewing and assembling. Thursday, we addressed envelopes, licked seals and stamped them in time to mail them Friday. I hear that they are beginning to arrive, and we even have our first RSVP already! Thanks Charlie!

Had we decided to have someone else do the work, the whole shebang could have cost upwards of $600 plus postage. We did it all for $160 (plus postage). I love that they are so personal, too. So "us". It was totally worth the papercuts, blisters, and bloodshot eyes.

Welcome to our print shop:


[finishing the design]

[printing...]

[hubby-to-be is such a good sport]

[I may just love this little gadget!]

[sewing paper!]

[fini!]

No comments:

Post a Comment